Garden Map co-ordinate trail
In the classroom we will look through the different features of maps including symbols, scales, orientation and co-ordinates. Working in pairs, pupils will use a map and compass to find features within the grounds using co-ordinates.
- To understand that a map is a birds eye view of a place at a smaller scale.
- To recognise different features on a map using the symbols and begin to relate what is shown on the map to what they can see.
- Use simple coordinates (or four-figure grid references) to locate points (or areas) on a map.
National curriculum links
Geographical skills and fieldwork
- use maps to locate countries and describe features studied
- use the eight points of a compass, four and six-figure grid references, symbols and key to build their knowledge of the United Kingdom and the wider world
Y3 Geometry – properties of shapes
- identify horizontal and vertical lines
Y4 Geometry – position and direction
- describe positions on a 2-D grid as coordinates in the first quadrant
- describe movements between positions as translations of a given unit to the left/right and up/down
- plot specified points and draw sides to complete a given polygon
- to equip pupils with a sound understanding of risk and with the knowledge and skills necessary to make safe and informed decisions