Orienteering In the Forest
Please ensure that there are at least three responsible adults per class when undertaking this activity to ensure safe supervision. We will position adults at different points around the forest.
Students working in pairs will be introduced to the features of maps including symbols and scale. They will be shown how to use a compass to orientate the map. The full course takes on average 30 minutes to complete.
- to use a map and compass to navigate a route around an unknown area
- to collaborate with others in a group to solve a problem or make a decision
- to develop some of the skills involved in group work, such as negotiating, problem-solving, debating
National curriculum links
Geographical skills and fieldwork
- use the 8 points of a compass, symbols and key to build their knowledge of the United Kingdom and the wider world
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
- to equip pupils with a sound understanding of risk and with the knowledge and skills necessary to make safe and informed decisions